The Reisterstown American Legion Post 116 was formed in 1936 by a group of 13 Charter members. They met at members' homes, the Masonic Temple and the Firehouse to conduct the American Legion business before finding a permanent location in the Garrison school just off Reisterstown Road. The first Post home was purchased in the early fifties on Route140 in Reisterstown, giving members a hometown location. The post remained there until 1986 when construction of Interstate 795 forced relocation to our present site about two miles from the old location on Route 140. The new location consists of 16 acres of farmland. Grading the top of the hill gave a level space to construct the new Post Home which opened in December 1986 to house the nearly 400 members, with a Sons of the American Legion Squadron of about 75 members, and an American Legion Auxiliary of about 100 members.
Over the years, the 116 Legion family has been active in the community by giving assistance to the Reisterstown Recreation Council; awarding scholarships to students at Franklin High School; participating in the American Legion Boys State and the Auxiliary's Girls State programs; and taking part in the American Legion Oratorical Contest for high school students. A special project was the compilation and donation to the Baltimore County Library of a registry of all known local veterans.
Post has contributed assistance and funds to help many charitable organizations
including, but not limited to, Maryland Special Olympics, the Epilepsy
Foundation, United Cerebral Palsy, Muscular Dystrophy Association, and Multiple